Slip and Fall Accidents
Defending Our Clients’ Rights for Over 25 Years
Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer in El Paso, TX, and Hobbs, NM
Law Office of Javier Martinez, Jr. and The J. Martinez Law Firm, L.L.C.
Whether you are at someone’s home or business, you expect that you will be reasonably safe and free from the risk of sustaining serious injuries in a fall. Sadly, slip and falls are a common occurrence when business and property owners fail to uphold their legal obligation of maintaining safe premises.
If you or a loved one was injured in a fall that was the result of inadequate maintenance or proper warning, you might be entitled to financial compensation to help get your life back on track. Our slip and fall accident law firm has offices in Texas and New Mexico, so we can assist you no matter where you are located.
Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Property owners have a legal obligation to maintain their premises to ensure the safety of their guests. If a property owner fails to fulfill their duty, they might have acted negligently and are therefore liable for any resulting slip and fall injuries.
Slip and fall accidents can happen at any place and at any time. They most commonly involve:
- Wet, slippery floors or spills
- Uneven flooring or pavement
- Loose cables, rugs, or mats
- Icy pavement
- Debris or trash on the floor
- Lack of handrails
- Inadequate lighting
Compensation for Your Slip and Fall Injuries
The impact of a fall can lead to a variety of injuries ranging from bruising and broken bones to concussions, spinal cord injuries, paralysis, or even death. Whatever the extent of the injuries, in general, a slip and fall lawyer can help an injured victim pursue compensation for:
- Past, present, and future medical expenses
- Costs for rehabilitation
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional damages
- Lost quality of life
Additionally, family members of those who died as the result of a slip and fall accident in New Mexico or Texas may be entitled to file a wrongful death claim. Texas law gives an injured victim only two years to take legal action against the party responsible for their injuries. So, if you suffered injuries in a slip and fall accident, it is critical to act quickly and consult with an attorney right away.
What to Do After a Slip and Fall Accident
You might not think there is any reason for your claim to be disputed. Unfortunately, property owners and their insurance companies will often try to use every excuse in the book to dispute slip and fall accident claims or pay victims much less than what they deserve.
In order to secure maximum compensation for your slip and fall injuries, we highly recommend that you take the following steps after being injured:
- Seek medical attention – Many slip and fall injuries do not present themselves immediately so you might feel fine shortly after your fall. It is not uncommon for a fall victim to become aware of their injuries days or even weeks after the accident. That is why it is important to get a thorough medical examination right away to make sure all of your injuries are quickly identified and treated.
- File a report – If the accident happened at an apartment complex or on a commercial property, file a report with management. This will ensure there is documentation of the incident.
- Take photographs and videos – Document your injuries and the area and conditions where the accident occurred. If anyone witnessed the incident, be sure to get their name and contact information.
- Gather additional evidence – Keep all documentation relating to the accident, such as medical bills and records, and copies of any reports that detail the incident or your injuries.
- Contact a slip and fall accident attorney right away – To ensure your rights are protected and the ideal course of action is taken, speak to a qualified slip and fall lawyer as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I File a Claim If a Wet Floor Sign Was Posted?
Having a wet floor sign posted does not automatically give immunity to property owners against slip and fall accident claims. It may limit their liability in certain situations, but they could still be responsible if they, for instance, positioned the sign in a place with little visibility or left no alternative way to proceed over or around the wet floor.
How Much Is My Slip and Fall Case Worth?
The amount you seek after a slip and fall accident will depend on a variety of factors, including the extent of your injuries, the pain you experienced, and whether you need ongoing medical treatment. For more information about the specific value of your case, get in touch with a qualified slip and fall attorney.
I’m Worried About Filing a Claim Against Someone I Know. Will They Have to Pay Out of Pocket?
Many slip and fall victims become worried about filing a claim after being injured on the residential property of someone they know. They often don’t want it to cause tension or ruin their relationship. However, keep in mind that you will most likely be filing a claim through the property owner’s homeowners insurance policy. You’re typically not taking money directly out of the person’s pocket.
Experienced Slip and Fall Lawyer in El Paso and Hobbs
When you’re injured in a slip and fall accident, you need a skilled personal injury attorney in your corner. At the Law Office of Javier Martinez, Jr. and The J. Martinez Law Firm, L.L.C., we understand the complexities that often exist in these cases and are prepared to walk you through the process from start to finish.
Don’t wait to contact us after a slip and fall accident. We will work hard to preserve evidence as quickly as possible, so your case is built on solid ground. Give us a call today for a free consultation. — El Paso, TX: (915) 751-0896 | Hobbs, NM: (575) 393-0021