What to Know If You Were Injured in an El Paso Auto Accident
After a car accident, you might be searching for answers. Some of the most common questions include what caused the accident and who can be held liable. If another person was responsible for your injuries, you might be entitled to compensation. However, without the help of a qualified attorney, you might not get the settlement or verdict you deserve.
At The Law Office of Javier Martinez, Jr., P.C. in El Paso, and The J. Martinez Law Firm, L.L.C. in Hobbs, NM, our car accident lawyers can help you understand your rights and your responsibilities after a collision. We will work with you to determine all of your legal options, including whether you have a valid claim for damages. If you were injured in a car accident, contact our office to schedule a free consultation. (915) 751-0896
Understanding the Leading Causes of Car Accidents
Thousands of motorists across the Southwest are seriously injured in car accidents each year. The majority of these collisions are preventable, caused by negligence, wrongdoing, or inexperience. If you are injured in a crash, it is in your best interest to consult with an El Paso car accident lawyer as quickly as possible.
Common causes of car accidents in Texas and New Mexico:
- Speeding – According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), approximately 28% of all fatal traffic accidents are the result of driving too fast for the conditions.
- Driving Under the Influence (DWI/DUI) – Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious offense that takes the lives of over 10,000 people nationwide every year.
- Distracted driving (inattention) – Driver inattention may involve anything that distracts a motorist’s attention from the road, such as texting, eating, drinking, adjusting the radio, or applying makeup.
- Following too closely (tailgating) – Tailgating is a widespread and dangerous practice that can lead to serious injury or even death. The Texas Department of Insurance reports that over half of drivers admit to following vehicles too closely.
- Motorist inexperience – Driver inexperience is frequently cited as a cause of accidents, particularly for teen drivers. Teens who have only recently received their driving privileges may lack the knowledge of how to react in certain situations.
- Driver fatigue – Drowsy driving or driver fatigue is a potentially deadly problem that affects many motorists throughout Texas and New Mexico. Truck drivers are particularly susceptible since they are expected to be on the road for long hours during an interstate haul.
It is important to remember that it is not your job to determine liability after an accident. If you are able, call 9-1-1 for emergency assistance. A law enforcement officer can help to ensure that you receive medical treatment for your injuries and that the names and information of all involved parties and eyewitnesses are recorded.
What You Need to Do After a Car Accident
Regardless of the circumstances of the case, you should always be seen by a doctor as soon as possible after an accident. Many injuries may not be immediately apparent since your body may be in shock from the sudden impact.
Once you are able, you need to consult with a car accident lawyer in El Paso. An experienced attorney can conduct an independent investigation to determine who or what caused the accident. You should not make any statements to an insurance adjuster or accept a settlement without first speaking to an attorney. You may end up settling for significantly less than your case is worth.
Injured in a Car Accident? Contact Our Office.
Were you or a loved one injured in a car accident? Contact our office online or call (915) 751-0896 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with a car accident attorney in El Paso. We have been helping injured parties for over 25 years. Let us help you get the results you deserve after an accident. Call now to get started.